Monday, February 15, 2016

The Whirlwind

Presuming I have any readers left, I’d like to fill you all in on the whirlwind that has been my life, and then perhaps you can understand why blogging hasn’t been at the top of my pile.
It’s been nuts!
These past couple of months have been chock-full of real life events, and just like real life…some good and some bad.
The days shuffle by so fast that I just picked my head up and realized it’s February.
Let’s go back to November for a minute, when the news was fast and furiously coming down the pike. The Friday night prior to Thanksgiving my husband was informed that he was getting promoted.
I am now married to a NYC Detective.
(Insert loud clapping here)
The only clinch was this: the Promotion Ceremony was that upcoming Tuesday, two days before Thanksgiving. I work on Tuesdays, so right away I began to search high and low for someone to sub my class at the gym. Once I put that into play, I began to tackle childcare.
Then my husband informed me that he definitely wanted our son there.
Our son is two and a half years old; not exactly a great candidate to sit in a chair for almost three hours and quietly clap as Daddy shook the Commissioner’s hand.  I tried to talk my husband out of it; I tried reason and bribery, all to no avail. I had one hand on the babysitting lever, and was about to pull that proverbial trigger, but reconsidered and chose to play along, knowing that we were going to have a very long day ahead of us.
I’ll spare you all the gory details, but the end result was that my husband got the pictures he wanted, and I ended up drinking a lot of wine at the celebration afterward.
Hmmm…
After that, I hosted Thanksgiving, and then about a week later as I was prepping for our annual Christmas Bash, I began feeling as if I had been run over by a Mack truck.
A doctor’s visit…Tamiflu…you name it…and I just kept getting worse. I ended up in the hospital and was sent home only after making the entire nursing staff laugh as much as humanly possible.
Once home, I began to realize that the Christmas Party I look forward to every year was just not going to happen. I was too weak, and by then too far behind, to pull it off the way I wanted to…and I am that type of person…if I couldn’t have it the way I wanted it,  well…you get the picture.

We cancelled the party but I managed to host Christmas Eve, and although my body was recovering, I suffered a few setbacks before I felt fully “me” again.
The New Year brought along with it new things: some long-put-off home renovations, a new Fitness Format that I just got certified in, a busy life, a busy wife, and a busy Momma.

The good news is that I have not forgotten my Blue Family. I’ve been swamped, but my heart has been with all the Blue Families who have been affected by this time in history: when do-nothing politicians give lip service to men and women who give their lives in the cause of service, and the only politicians who say anything that matters seem to be doing so to hear the sound of their own voice.
I honestly do not know how some people sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com